PGSQL/JDBC & browser compatibility - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob VonMoss
Subject PGSQL/JDBC & browser compatibility
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm developing a java applet with JDBC using the Postgresql driver.
Apparently, the only browsers that are compatible with my java code
compiled under Sun JDK 1.1.X is Netscape Communicator 4.5 and the Sun
JDK 1.1.X appletviewer. MSIE 5.0 gives me the message "no suitable
driver" when I try to connect to pgsql. There are all kinds of error
messages, not only with Netscape 3.0, which of course does not support
the java.sql package, but also Netscape Communicator 4.0.x

Is anyone using pgsql with MSIE? Is there a MS java compiler?

How have others dealt with JDBC and the limited browser selection? One
solution is to not do JDBC in the front end applet and only in the back
end which is not used in any browser. This defeats a lot of the purpose
in using JDBC in the first place. Of course, JDBC is nice from a
database programming point of view, but sucks because it lacks security
and won't go through firewalls.

--
Bob VonMoss
mailto:bvonmoss@bigfoot.com