Re: 64-bit size pgbench - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 64-bit size pgbench
Date
Re: 64-bit size pgbench  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Was looking for general feedback on whether the way I've converted this
> to use 64 bit integers for the account numbers seems appropriate, and to
> see if there's any objection to fixing this in general given the
> potential downsides.

In the past we've rejected proposed patches for pgbench on the grounds
that they would make results non-comparable to previous results.  So the
key question here is how much this affects the speed.  Please be sure to
test that on a 32-bit machine, not a 64-bit one.

> !     retval = (int64) strtol(res, &endptr, 19);

That bit is merely wishful thinking :-(