Re: [INTERFACES] tuple size too big?? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Byron Nikolaidis
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] tuple size too big??
Date
List pgsql-interfaces

JT Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I am connecting to postgres 6.4.2 on rh linux 5.2, using new kernel 2.2.2,
> from access97 on a win98 machine through an obdc driver (somehow, that was
> a mouthful!).  I am converting some access files into postgres.  One file
> in particular has a NOTES field in it (access memo datatype, postgres text
> datatype) that may have large amounts of data in various records.  When I
> run an insert query to insert into the postgres tables from the access
> table, it bombs when it hits a record with"too much data" - I get the error
> message "tuple size too big, size 8360".  In the obdc driver, I tried
> increasing the "text as longvarchar" amount to 15000 - no good.  I then
> tried just unchecking the "text as longvarchar" option - no good.  I think
> the message is coming from postgres, not the obdc driver.  I have found a
> record in particular that causes the problem.  When I remove a few lines
> from the data, it pulls in just fine.  The few lines I removed had no
> special characters, etc.  what to do??  I need to be able to store this
> data in its entirety.  How to increase the allowable "tuple" size?  What is
> a tuple anyway??

The data for that notes field is probably making the overall size of the query
too big for the backend to handle.  It has a limit of around 8k.  The real
solution is to have the driver use a large object instead of in-line the data.

I know I have said this before, but I will try to add that option next since it
seems to be really necessary now, alot of people need to store large amounts of
character data.

Byron