Re: Pg 7.2B5 -> 7.2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Pg 7.2B5 -> 7.2.1
Date
List pgsql-general
"Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@acm.org> writes:
> Could someone confirm if I can just install 7.2.1 over a 7.2B5
> installation without an initdb?  Not a lot of data but it would be nice
> way to go.  The first is an install using a Redhat RPM (teg's) and I
> haven't decided on how to go with the 7.2.1 but probably a Redhat RPM from
> the RHL 7.3 distribution.

The source code is fine with it --- the authoritative reference for such
issues is the version history for catversion.h.  Looking at
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/include/catalog/catversion.h
you can see that 7.2beta5 and 7.2 release have the same version of
catversion.h, to wit 1.103.  So you shouldn't need to initdb.

However, I'd be less confident that two randomly-chosen RPM releases
will be binary-compatible --- they might have been built with different
choices of install directory, default PGDATA directory, etc.  Given that
you used teg's beta RPM I'd recommend you stick with his release RPM.

            regards, tom lane