Re: [GENERAL] Would this project be of interest to anyone? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Would this project be of interest to anyone?
Date
List pgsql-general
James Thompson wrote:

> I've been working on a new project using Postgresql and wanted a little
> public input on it.
<OBE project>

You may want to take a look at Zope (www.zope.org) It's a Python based,
GPLed web/object infrastructure thing. Think of it as a cross between
PHP/ColdFusion and  a persistent CGI/ASP application server. It plays
well with Postgresql in my hands (so far) and has an active community
(and company) behind it (Digital Creations: www.digicool.com).

As to using PostgreSQL in a general office automation environment, the
biggest snag I think you'll hit is the 8K limit on tuples, and the
insufficiency of large objects (lo) that's seen so many postings to the
lists lately. Although, apparently, the win32 ODBC driver handles lo's
automatically reasonably well (I remember someone mentioning it being
cool to drag-n-drop big old Word docs and animations into their
PostgreSQL db via MS-Access) Perhaps for the limited case (not millions
of records above 8k, just a few), the existing implementation is
sufficent.

Ross (parenthetically speaking this morning, for some reason)
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer