Re: Trouble running PostgreSQL server / Server must be started under certain locale. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoff Ellingwood
Subject Re: Trouble running PostgreSQL server / Server must be started under certain locale.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 19, 2007 7:40 AM, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
Geoff Ellingwood wrote:
> Any help would be appreciated; I have quite a bit of data in my 8.1 cluster
> (active phpBB, etc.), and while I could upgrade to 8.2 or even the 8.3 beta,
> I don't know how I would be able to migrate a database if the postmaster
> process is unable to start.

Step 1 is to make sure you have a backup of your database directory.
That's *everything* in .../pgsql/data (or wherever). You're going to
have to get the database running again and dump it.

Step 2 will be to revert the locale packages (at least). I'd actually
recommend going back to a completely "clean" system and staring again
unless you're clear what's gone wrong.

You'll need to read this and figure out exactly what changes you've made
first.
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/
Sections 3.8/9/10 are probably the most important, but read the lot
before doing anything.

Best bet for help then is an ubuntu/debian list, but as long as you've
got backups you'll be OK.

I think my best bet is going to be to nuke my 8.1 installation from orbit (after making a backup of the cluster directory) and let Ubuntu configure it correctly with whatever locale managed to squeeze itself into my system.  When I was fiddling with it last night, I did manage to get a copy of 8.2 up and running, but I knew that I couldn't just copy 8.1's data directory over top of 8.2's.

So, what are tips for completely removing 8.1 after I've made my backups?  Will "apt-get remove -purge" be sufficient, or am I going to need to track down individual binaries and config files as well?

-- Geoff