Trouble running PostgreSQL server / Server must be started under certain locale. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoff Ellingwood
Subject Trouble running PostgreSQL server / Server must be started under certain locale.
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm in the process of getting Subversion and Trac running on my development machine.  So far, the installation process has gone fairly smoothly, until I had to install the Subversion bindings for Python.  Because I run Ubuntu, and Ubuntu did not have the latest bindings in its repositories, I had to get it from the Debian archives instead.  Well, after doing this, the PostgreSQL server is now refusing to start.

The following error message is given:
neppyman@loki:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 start
 * Starting PostgreSQL 8.1 database server
 * Error: The server must be started under the locale en_US.UTF-8 which does not exist any more.

Checking my locales tels me...

neppyman@loki:~$ locale -a
(snip)
en_US.utf8

Obviously there's a mismatch there, but I'm still learning Linux, so I don't really know how to fix it.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the locales package, but that didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated; I have quite a bit of data in my 8.1 cluster (active phpBB, etc.), and while I could upgrade to 8.2 or even the 8.3 beta, I don't know how I would be able to migrate a database if the postmaster process is unable to start.

-- Geoff