Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Because that's what a respectable business does when a customer runs into a bug with software they sell.

It's not a bug, it's expected behavior.  Not that I think it couldn't be better handled.

I'm not trying to dig at this, but looking at it in terms of flexibility, rather than us change the way we display a port in the ps-line because it may break a couple hundred scripts, you seem to think it's more reasonable for a company with a product utilized by millions of users, installed in countless governments, and deployed in mission-critical areas, to risk changing a fairly mature and well-tested behavior because it affects fewer than 1% of its users per year; specifically, users who are trying to interoperate with a competing database?  If it were my business, it doesn't seem like something I would put much effort into :)

Whether or not they actually will fix it, I don't know, but they surely won't if no-one complains them about it.

Wouldn't hurt :)

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com