Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.
Date
Re: Problem with accesing Oracle from plperlu functionwhen using remote pg client.  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
We're not going to break a bunch of other applications in order to make
some undocumented, unsupported Oracle thingie work (until they change
it...).  Got another solution?

Unfortunately, that's the way Oracle has done it since before the existence of POSTGRES.

I first encountered it while working on database links from PG to Oracle at EnterpriseDB, and the reason Tomasz couldn't find the answer to this online is because it's such a rare problem that Oracle has no reason to change it.  Really, how many people have parenthesis in their program names?  Similarly, the problem has always existed when connecting to Oracle from Postgres using DBI-Link or the oralink contrib module, there's just so few PG people connecting to Oracle that it hasn't really come up before.

As for alternate solutions, the only thing I can think of is a config parameter to disable rewrite of the ps line.  Frankly, I don't recall ever seeing a script that looked for (port) in the process list, but there are probably some home-grown ones out there.  As for me, I'd prefer to separate the host and port via a colon, just as everything else does, but that isn't backward compatible.

I would expect this to become more of an issue when we start getting SQL/MED more closely integrated with the server and people can more easily connect to other databases.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com