Re: Automatic Client Failover - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Automatic Client Failover
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Well, it's less simple, but you can already do this with pgPool on the
> client machine.

Yeah, but if you have tens or hundreds of clients, you wouldn't want
to be installing/managing a pgpool on each.  Similarly, I think an
application should have the option of being notified of a connection
change; I know that wasn't in Simon's proposal, but I've found it
necessary in several applications which rely on things such as
temporary tables.  You don't want the app just blowing up because a
table doesn't exist; you want to be able to handle it gracefully.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com