Re: About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer
Date
Re: About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer
List pgsql-hackers
Pryscila,

While I haven't been too involved in the open source PostgreSQL optimizer, I have done some work on it and optimizers in other database systems.

Based on my work, it is my opinion that PostgreSQL, as-well-as other databases which use a cost-based optimizer, prefer a breadth-first algorithm because one cannot determine the "real" cost of each node at run-time without systematically examining all possibilities through calculation.  This is the opposite of a rule-based optimizer which defines heuristics which can be evaulated by a best-first algorithm such as A*.

In a cost-based optimizer, the system must calculate the "cost" of each path based on data that changes during run-time including indexing, cardinality, tuple size, available memory, CPU usage, disk access times, etc.  To a cost-based optimizer, every query is unique and therefore cannot follow a weighted path in the same fashion.  I can certainly see A* being used in a rule-based optimizer but not in a real-time cost-based optimizer.

Perhaps Tom, Bruce, et al have more specifics on PostgreSQL's implementation.

-Jonah