Re: PL/PGSQL Record type question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Robins
Subject Re: PL/PGSQL Record type question
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Gabriel,

There are two ways to do this:
1. Imad's way (Define the function with the return type as RECORD). Its only problem is that while querying from this function, you need to give a proper SELECT query or else PG returns an error.

e.g.  As Imad gives in his example ...

CREATE FUNCTION xyz() RETURNS record AS
$$
 declare
 abc RECORD;
 begin
 abc := (1, 2);
 return abc;
 end;
$$
language plpgsql;

And execute the function in this fashion:

select a, b from xyz() as (a int, b int);

The only problem with this is that if you have 6 elements your select statement becomes quite long. Also, in case your function return parameter count changes, or its types change, you would need to change the SELECT SQL at all the places.

2. Define a TYPE as John mentioned, and set the function's return type as this TYPE. The advantage is that you can always redefine the function and the type in case the return parameters are changing and that your select statement is a simple SELECT * from fn().

Personally, I have tried both and believe the second way (TYPE) is quite convenient for me.

Regards,
Robins Tharakan