Re: [INTERFACES] Retrieve rows 1 by 1 - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From James Olin Oden
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Retrieve rows 1 by 1
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Vikrant Rathore wrote:

> Please any one can tell me how to update,insert or change a single row
> using libpq interface. The table is not indexed and do not have a
> primary key.
> Can any one give me a way to retrieve,chage or insert data after any
> row.
> Thanks in advance
> Vikrant

I am not familiar enough with libq to give you the specifics, but I think
the key is to realize that though you do not have primary key, every
object in a table has an oid (Object ID) that postgress assigns it that is
unique.  So when you do a select be sure to include the oid field, and
then you can update that specific record easily by specifying that"

    oid = ####

That is whatever number you pulled from the database with your select.  As
for the specifics the various docs on the website I believe describe the
libq interface very well (I just have never used it so I don't remember
it) so that you can fill in the specifics for yourself.

...james