Re: LinuxODBC - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter Harvey
Subject Re: LinuxODBC
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> So far, no permanent ones. We do run across some compatibility problems
> on occasion because Byron does not develop on Unix/Linux at all, but
> does want to be the keeper of the definitive sources. I trust that you
> are not proposing a code fork now? :)

No.

> Are you coordinating this with Byron? Does the source continue to have
> full WIN32 compatibility?

I am waitinf for a reply from Byron... and yes.

> You say that this is compatible with an M$ API or file format standard,
> so that should fit in well with Byron's needs. We will need to
> coordinate with him, and it would be best to do so with CC: to the
> Postgres Interfaces mailing list to keep everyone up to speed.

Yes. The API is compatible although;

1. some additional functions have been added (not required if compatibility
is an issue by the caller)
2. GUI stuff is in stub form (implemented via additional funcs

There are only a few funcs that would be used normally and they are funcs
like SQLGetPrivateProfileString() and are implemented 100% so libodbcinst
is quite usefull.

> I'm not certain about the licensing issues. The PostgreSQL distribution
> is, at the moment, fully BSD licensed, and there has been concern about
> mixing in other licenses. However, it may be that having a single
> directory in the distribution with a GPL license will be acceptable.
> There is some advantage to building the ODBC driver underneath the
> Postgres installation to take advantage of ./configure results, but
> perhaps we could just rip the odbc stuff out of the main distribution
> and deliver it separately (we support a standalone build anyway).

It would be really good for all if one driver manager were to be used and
one method of getting to the ODBC 'system information'. I am, of course, of
the opinion that LinuxODBC is the solution (includes iODBC). All efforts
are being made to ensure that Driver code can be 100% portable.

> Oh, Byron's driver has also been built and tested on Solaris, and should
> run on other platforms too. Hopefully your mods will be
> platform-neutral?

Again, the focus is on ensuring the Driver is 100% portable. This means
that the driver manager and odbcinst must be API compatible but not
portable with Windows (although the iODBC DM is portable as well). The one
problem with the PostgreSQL driver is that it has the Setup code in it. So
far it is still portable but it would be better to make this a seperate DLL
for the windows version.