New CVSup static binaries for Linux glibc2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject New CVSup static binaries for Linux glibc2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >> I'd say, go ahead and release them.  If you'll tell me where to find
> >> them, I'd like to put them on my own web site too.
> > Will do. May not get to it for a little while, since I want to build and
> > test one more time to make sure I remember how to do it.

I've posted new static binaries for cvsup and cvsupd, built from the
sources labeled as version 15.5-linux, on the Postgres web site at:
 ftp://postgresql.org/pub/CVSup/

For reference, I built using the commands

make M3TARGET=LINUXLIBC6 M3FLAGS="-D_pm3 -DSTATIC -DNOGUI"
make M3TARGET=LINUXLIBC6 M3FLAGS="-D_pm3 -DSTATIC -DNOGUI" install

To do the static linking, I had to make one more change in prog.quake. I
was recalling using "build_standalone()", but my installation of pm3
seemed to instead want

if defined("STATIC") option("standalone","T")
end

(this replaces the last three lines of the original prog.quake).

> >> Could you also let me know which specific versions of Linux the
> >> binaries are for?  I'm not very familiar with the various versions.
> >> I know it's some Redhat version, but that's about the extent of my
> >> knowledge.  Also, which version of PM3 did you use?

These binaries were build on a RedHat-5.1 system running glibc-2.07. The
versioning for m3build leaves something to be desired:

[root@mythos]# m3build -version
m3build: SRC Modula-3 version XX.X

But all of the RPMs in the PM3 distribution are versioned with file name
labels of "1.1.10-1". Usually the last "-1" is an RPM-specific internal
version field, so "1.1.10" may be the right thing to specify.

I'll try building and posting new static binaries for my libc5 machine
at home, probably using my existing SRC m3 compiler.

Thanks again for a great utility!
                      - Tom

For those who care, there is an RPM distribution of Modula-3 which is
*much* easier to work with than the original from-source distribution.
It can be found at
 ftp://m3.polymtl.ca/pub/m3/index.html

It has a bazillion separate RPMs, but if you fetch them into a single
directory and then do "rpm -Uvh *" you will get everything you need and
more.

--
Thomas Lockhart
Caltech/JPL