Re: [HACKERS] Re: EXCEPT/INTERSECT for v6.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Clark Evans
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: EXCEPT/INTERSECT for v6.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas,

The documentation Stefan wrote for his Master's thesis
is great stuff.  Perhaps some of could be incorporated?

Stefan Simkovics wrote:
> > I also included the text of my Master's Thesis. (a postscript
> > version). I hope that you find something of it useful and would be
> > happy if parts of it find their way into the PostgreSQL documentation
> > project (If so, tell me, then I send the sources of the document!)

I took the liberty of making a PDF file and posting it on my server:

http://www.manhattanproject.com/stefan_simkovics_masters_thesis.pdf

If this is a problem, I'll remove it.  Also, once the paper has
a permanent home, I'll put in a re-director for it.

> > The contents of the document are:
> >   -) The first chapter might be of less interest as it gives only an
> >      overview on SQL.
> >
> >   -) The second chapter gives a description on much of PostgreSQL's
> >      features (like user defined types etc. and how to use these features)

This second chapter is a great introduction.  (***)

> >   -) The third chapter starts with an overview of PostgreSQL's internal
> >      structure with focus on the stages a query has to pass (i.e. parser,
> >      planner/optimizer, executor). Then a detailed description of the
> >      implementation of the Having clause and the Intersect/Except logic is
> >      given.

And this third chapter is wonderful, it gives a very good low level
description of the rewrite process and internal query representation
in a graphic format.  (****)

Best,

Clark Evans