Re: Pre-version pg_upgrade syntax check - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Pre-version pg_upgrade syntax check
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2/10/20 3:40 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> Good advice; I'll do that.
>
> Huh! Not what I expected:
>
> postgres@salmo:~$ pg_upgrade -c -b /usr/lib64/postgresql/11/bin/ -B
> /usr/lib64/postgresql/12/bin/ -d /var/lib/pgsql/11/data -D
> /var/lib/pgsql/12/data/
>
> (All on one line; wrapped by alpine.)
>
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
> Checking cluster versions Old cluster data and binary directories are
> from different major versions.
> Failure, exiting
>
> Well, of course they're from different major versions, that's why I'm
> running pg_upgrade. What did I do incorrectly?

What it is saying is -b and -d are pointing at binary and data
directories that are incompatible. You need to make sure that:

/usr/lib64/postgresql/11/bin/
and
/var/lib/pgsql/11/data

are actually pointing at 11 instances of binaries and data respectively.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com