Re: [HACKERS] SQLJ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Constantin Teodorescu
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SQLJ
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dan Gowin wrote:

>       I've just read in DBMS magazine that Oracle, Informix, etc...
> are replacing there proprietary Procedural Language's (PL/SQL) with
> JVMs (JAVA virtual machine). Apparently according to the database
> vendors, this will obviate the need for middle ware products and to
> make CORBA much more intuitive.

This was a problem that I also wanted to talk about.
> My personal opinion is this is yet another mechanism to slow down
> the database engine. I don't mind using JAVA in the database engine
> as a procedural language, but I think there is still great merit in
> breaking
> this out as a separate process (Application Server).

I don't think that it would be slower than PlTcl for example.

Talking about speed:

I made some tests with some procedures written in PlPgsql and PlTcl!
I understood also that PlPgsql is compiling the procedure body into a
sort of bytecodes and the execution is somewhat faster.
In PlTcl, I feel (I didn't poke the sources) that a PlTcl procedure body
is interpreted each time at execution time. For this reason, it doesn't
beneffit from Tcl 8.x compiler, making it slowly than PlPgsql. Am I
right ?

The first question is : Is Tcl 8.x able to precompile a script and
return the bytecodes that should be kept into the database and execute
them later?

>From this point of view, I think that compiling a Java language
procedure and storing the resulting .class might be at execution time as
faster as PlPgsql. And , I think, perfectly possible.

Right now, I am working at a big project using :
1. Tcl/Tk as thin client
2. Messaging server written in Java as a middle-tier with JDBC
3. PostgreSQL RDBMS

It would be perfect from me if PostgreSQL will allow procedures written
in Java language.

--
Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA