Re: [INTERFACES] 'pgaccess' - Can't Connect to Backend - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Constantin Teodorescu
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] 'pgaccess' - Can't Connect to Backend
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Kenneth Jacker wrote:

> Configuration
> -------------
>   MkLinux
>   postgresql-6.3.2
>   pgaccess-{0.86,0.91,0.93}

Pay attention to the fact that pgaccess 0.93 is working fine with
PostgreSQL 6.4.x due to some changes in libpgtcl
PgAccess can work with older PostgreSQL versions but there is a single
line that have to be changed.

Upgrading to 6.4.1 might be a good solution!

> I can connect to the backend via 'psql' but not 'pgaccess'.
> Both 'pgaccess' and 'postgreSQL' are running on the same machine.
> Pgaccess gives the message:
>         Error connecting database
>         Connection to database failed
>         connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running
>         and accepting TCP/IP (with -i) connections
>         at 'localhost' on port '5432'?
>
> Observations
> ------------
> Here's the relevant process info (in particular, note the '-i'
> option):
>
>         /usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
>         /usr/bin/postgres -p -Q -P5 -v 65536 collection

STRANGE !!! VERY STRANGE !!!

Let's find first if libpgtcl is working good!

enter the following commands in a shell ($ is the prompter)
collection is the database name, people a table name

$ tclsh
tcl> load libpgtcl.so
tcl> set dbc [pg_connect collection]
tcl> pg_select $dbc "select * from people" tup {puts [array get tup]}
tcl> pg_disconnect $dbc
tcl> exit

If something from above does not work, that means that you have a
problem with libpgtcl, not with pgaccess !
Send me the error message!

send me please also the result of

grep -v "^#" /where_it_is/pg_hba.conf

Constantin Teodorescu