Postgres 6.4.1 on DEC-ALPHA - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adriaan Joubert
Subject Postgres 6.4.1 on DEC-ALPHA
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

    I'm having real problem to get postgres 6.4.1 to run on Alpha. It
compiled with only one minor problem, but when I try to do anything
(createdb, or psql template1) i get the following

> createdb
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
FATAL 1:  palloc failure: memory exhausted

createdb: database creation failed on postgres.

Running the postmaster -i -d 5 I get

/data/pgsql/bin/postmaster: BackendStartup: pid 7916 user postgres db
template1
socket 5
/data/pgsql/bin/postmaster child[7916]: starting with
(/data/pgsql/bin/postgres,
 -p, -d5, -P5, -v131072, template1, )
FindExec: found "/data/pgsql/bin/postgres" using argv[0]
debug info:
        User         = postgres
        RemoteHost   = localhost
        RemotePort   = 0
        DatabaseName = template1
        Verbose      = 5
        Noversion    = f
        timings      = f
        dates        = Normal
        bufsize      = 64
        sortmem      = 512
        query echo   = f
InitPostgres
FATAL 1:  palloc failure: memory exhausted
proc_exit(0) [#0]
shmem_exit(0) [#0]
exit(0)
/data/pgsql/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
/data/pgsql/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 7916 exited with status 0

Does anybody have any idea where this palloc failure comes from? I've
had postgres 6.3.2 running without
any problems. And the machine has got over 600MB of memory, so that
isn't the problem.

Cheers,

Adriaan