Re: psql variables in the DO command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Luzanov
Subject Re: psql variables in the DO command
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05.03.2018 18:01, Pavel Stehule wrote:

It is most correct when you thinking about it.

1. :xx is out of SQL syntax, so can by safely used. There is not risk of unwanted usage.
But there is absence of wanted usage too.

2. but string literal can contain :xxx symbols and not necessary it means so it should be usage of psql variable - so additional syntax for disabling evaluation should be necessary
Yes and Oracle sqlplus (I khow than you know this tool) has special command to control this: set define ...

Unfortunately DO command is half baked - and doesn't support parameters. I am working on schema variables and I hope it will be a solution of this issue:

CREATE VARIABLE var as integer;

LET var = :psqlintvar;

DO $$
BEGIN
  RAISE NOTICE '%', var;
END;
$$;

It will be great. I already commented it in your blog.

-----
Pavel Luzanov
The Russian Postgres Company