Bytea(precision) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Hartwig
Subject Bytea(precision)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Recently, while testing the application compatibility of the ODBC driver
in , we have come across a problem.    Some applications, specifically
MS Project, want to create tables using a bounded binary data type.
(i.e.  SQL_BINARY)   Up to now, we have mapped ODBC's SQL_BINARY to
PostgreSQL's BYTEA.    The problem is that when the application tries to
create the table.    Example:

    CREATE TABLE foo (bar BYTEA(100));

PostgreSQL errors, complaining about the "(".     I have created a
patch, which I am now testing, to allow this syntax for BYTEA.  It also,
truncates to the specified precision in the same fashion as does VARCHAR
while preserving its original behavior when a precision is not
specified.

1.   Are there any objections?

2.  It is very light weight and I would like to get the patch into
6.4.1.   Is this possible?   (I do not know the plans for this 6.4.1)