Re: Re: [SQL] aliases break my query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [SQL] aliases break my query
Date
Re: Re: [SQL] aliases break my query  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: Re: [SQL] aliases break my query  (Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas.zeugswetter@telecom.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Zeugswetter Andreas" <andreas.zeugswetter@telecom.at> writes:
> I think we could get agreement to not allow implicit from entries
> if there is a from clause in the statement, but allow them if a from clause
> is missing altogether. The patch did not distinguish the two cases.

Hmm, that's a thought.  Taking it a little further, how about this:

"Emit a notice [or error if you insist] when an implicit FROM item is
added that refers to the same underlying table as any existing FROM
item."

95% of the complaints I can remember seeing were from people who got
confused by the behavior of "FROM table alias" combined with a reference
like "table.column".  Seems to me the above rule would catch this case
without being obtrusive in the useful cases.  Comments?