Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date
Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Matthew T. OConnor said:
> Bill Bartlett wrote:
>> Can't -- the main production database is over at a CoLo site with
>> access only available via SSH, and tightly-restricted SSH at that.
>> Generally one of the developers will SSH over to the server, pull out
>> whatever data is needed into a text file via psql or pg_dump, scp the
>> file(s) back here and send them to the user.
>
> ODBC over an SSH tunnnel?

I wish I could understand why people are so keen to make other people turn
handsprings in order to avoid a feature which, as Bruce points out, is
already on the TODO list, and which, by my 10 minute analysis, would involve
almost trivial code impact and risk. If this involved major impact I might
understand, but it really doesn't.

I know many people work in a Postgres only world. I wish everybody did, and
then we could just forget about things like CSV. They don't, so we can't.

I think I have said this before, but I'll say it again. From time to time
people thank me for things I have done for Postgres. The two things that
stand out BY FAR on the list of these are CSV import/export and dollar
quoting. This is a widely used feature.

cheers

andrew