Re: [SQL] Getting datatype before SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David Hartwig
Subject Re: [SQL] Getting datatype before SELECT
Date
List pgsql-sql

Glenn Sullivan wrote:

> In my C code which communicates with the Postgres database,
> I have the need to determine the datatype of a column, before
> I have done a SELECT command.  I have the name of the column,
> but I cannot seem to figure out how to get the datatype information
> until after I have done a SELECT.  Then I can call  PQfnumber() and
> PQftype() to get the type.  Does anyone know how to do this?

-- will give you the attribute name

SELECT pg_type.typname FROM pg_class, pg_type, pg_attribute WHERE
pg_class.relname = 'your_table' AND
pg_attribute.attname = 'your_attribute' AND
pg_class.oid = pg_attribute.attrelid AND
pg_attribute.atttypid = pg_type.oid;