Re: Certification

From: Michael Meskes
Subject: Re: Certification
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
 Re: Certification  (, )
 Re: Certification  (Bob Lunney, )
  Re: Certification  (Luca Ferrari, )
  Re: Certification  (, )
   Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
   Re: Certification  (Bob Lunney, )
  Re: Certification  (Jaime Casanova, )
   Re: Certification  (Sameer Kumar, )
    Re: Certification  (julyanto SUTANDANG, )
    Re: Certification  (David Fetter, )
     Re: Certification  (Sameer Kumar, )
 Re: Certification  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
 Re: Certification  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
   Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
  Re: Certification  (, )
  Re: Certification  (Robert Haas, )
   Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
    Re: Certification  (Robert Haas, )
     Certification In Cuba  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
     Re: Certification  (julyanto SUTANDANG, )
      Re: Certification  (Joshua Kramer, )
       Re: Certification  ("Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth", )
       Re: Certification  (Sameer Kumar, )
        Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
       Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
     Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
      Re: Certification  (Robert Haas, )
     Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
  Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
   Re: Certification  (Jean-Paul Argudo, )
 Re: Certification  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Certification  (Jaime Casanova, )
  Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
   Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
 Re: Certification  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
  Re: Certification  (PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig<>, )

Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 10/30/2015 12:41 AM, Michael Meskes wrote:
> >> I think this should be a closed list run by the Linux Foundation.
> >
> > Why's that? I'm willing to put up a list we can use for discussion.
>
> That's also fine.  I just mean "not an @postgresql.org list".

Which still doesn't explain why you don't want it on postgresql.org.

> I'm just saying that asking the EDB staff to endorse a certification
> which competes with EDB's certification is not something I personally
> would do.

Since, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you're not with EDB I wonder how
you come to this conclusion. I had a different feedback when talking to some
directly.

> > Ok, thanks. BTW we're not talking questions here, but tasks to be
> > performed.
> Oh, does LF have the ability to administer that kind of test?  That
> would be awesome.

Yes, they do.

> >> However, the first question we should have with this is "what problem
> >> are we solving?"
> >>
> >> That is, are the EnterpriseDB/SRA/etc. certifications not good enough?
> >
> > At the very least they are not vendor neutral.
> >
> >> to make money off PostgreSQL.  If there is a deficiency, we need to make
> >> sure that an LF certification will address that specific deficiency.
> >
> > Again, by its very setup I think it solves the major problem.
>
> You haven't said what that problem is?

But I have, see above. Just to make it clear again, there is no certification
for PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL only with no company attached to it. It'd be
great to have something that independent from those commercial interests.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Meskes at (Debian|Postgresql) dot Org