Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request)
Date
Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request)  (Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb@cybertec.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
>> True, but I'm with Heikki: it's a pedantic and unhelpful guideline.

> Then let's change it, drop the preference, and update the documentation.

I think we should drop the hard requirement for context-format, and
instead say that it must not be plain (context-free) diff, since that
clearly *is* a hard requirement.

However, I liked the upthread suggestion (I think it was from Heikki)
that we recommend that submitters actually take a moment to think about
which format is more readable for their particular patch.   Readability
is important not only to help people who just give the patch a quick
eyeball, but also to help the inevitable situations where hunks have
to be applied by hand because the underlying code has changed.  The
less readable the patch, the more likely an error in doing that.
(And I trust we've all learned by now that git isn't so good at merging
that this isn't a problem.)