Re: Create temp table query hangs - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Ron
Subject Re: Create temp table query hangs
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 4/13/21 1:26 PM, Novak Ivan wrote:

Greetings,

We’ve a hanging query which creates a temp table.

Some context:

  • The application transforms from one data model to another one (to a canonical datamodel). The source tables for these transformations are on one schema of the postgresDB (we call it LandingZone) and the target tables of these transformations are in a different schema of the exact same postgresDB (we call it the CDM schema).

Our problem in summary:

  • a query for creating temporary table on target schema is hanging forever and we are out of ideas why.

The query is not generated by our own "mapper" tool that we wrote. We don't use any third party product here (except JOOQ library for communicating to DB)

When we try to create a (temporary) table with one statement, and that query takes forever (even after >24h the query is still there). In the Postgres Database we see three identical active PIDs for the same query (with same starttimestamp). But we only sent the statement once to the DB. See screenshot below.

The query hangs when creating of temporary tables (see below) and also creating normal tables.

The query hangs using our go-to library for Database queries (JOOQ) and also when we do it manually (we rewrote the implementation using java JDBC) -> so it is not dependent on that library

The query hangs also after updating the default JDBC drivers to newest version (42.2.19)

The query does NOT hang when running on local development environment (not containerized) -> we see 3 PIDs in database (which is strange), but the query finishes after some seconds

The query does NOT hang when running directly on the database using DBeaver, i.e. not using java -> we see 3 PIDs in database (which is strange), but the query finishes after some seconds

This doesn't happen every time we create a table. For source tables that have no new data (or are empty) the query completes. Otherwise it doesn’t seem to be volume dependent (small vs large vs huge volume)

It does consistently happen when creating temp table selecting on specific tables that have some volume.

Something similar happens to us when running a long script full of DDL from JDBC on Postgresql 9.6.6.