Re: WAL & ZFS - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Holger Jakobs
Subject Re: WAL & ZFS
Date
Re: WAL & ZFS  (Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@gmail.com>)
Re: WAL & ZFS  (Rui DeSousa <rui@crazybean.net>)
List pgsql-admin
The WAL is a journal itself and doesn't need another journal for safety.
Therefore, a common recommendation is using ext2 (which has no journal)
for the WAL partition.

Is this correct?

Am 31.03.22 um 23:32 schrieb Rui DeSousa:
> I would recommend a separate pg_wal filesystem with the record size to match the WAL page size; in my case 16k.  I
havekeep the default record size at 128k for the data volume and that configuration has worked well for supporting
largeDSS while using 16k data blocks.

>> On Mar 30, 2022, at 5:32 PM, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've read all the info I could find re running PG on ZFS: turn off full page writes, turn on lz4, tweak recordsize
soas to take advantage of compression, etc. One thing I haven't seen is whether a separate volume for WAL would benefit
froma larger recordsize. Or any other tweaks???

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Attachment