Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 27, 2009, at 4:55 AM, Albe Laurenz wrote:

> That's probably not the problem in the original message, but there
> are things you can do with the frontend/backend protocol that libpq
> does not expose: for example, with the extended query protocol you can
> send a "Bind" call that requests that some of the results should be
> returned in text format, others in binary.

Another protocol feature that I don't think is exposed in libpq is the
ability to limit the maximum number of rows returned by a query. So if
you are executing end user queries, you don't have to worry about
processing a massive result set or somehow parsing the query to add a
limit clause.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.