Re: [HACKERS] re: Informix on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] re: Informix on Linux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> But, fact is, we are the first to ship. And I think that shipping
> counts more than press releases. I mean, heck, we could have made an
> "announcement" six months ago (with a six month lead time like
> Oracle), but that wouldn't have put CDs in anyones hands any sooner.

*grin* That reminds me of a "demo" Oracle did at JPL a few years ago.
Very impressive -- 3 machines at the front of the room: a Sun, a PC, and
a Mac, each running a different piece of an Oracle app or backend,
interoperating wonderfully. *Except that NONE of the pieces of software
in the demo was available for ANY of the other platforms*!!?? They sort
of forgot to mention that until I asked :/

Until it ships, Oracle is just contributing to global warming...

> I am well aware that "no good deed ever goes unpunished", but even so
> it is annoying to see the attitude "well, Informix didn't do UDO only
> SE, and they didn't do it six months ago" when in fact Informix is
> shipping a perfectly fine product that thousands of VARS use to build
> all kinds of real apps for real businesses, and we are giving
> developer licenses for free.

Yup, Informix seems to have made the big commitment, and we shouldn't
hold it against any company for not "getting it" sooner. At least until
Informix starts slamming Postgres in their advertisements :))

Keep working on them to GPL Illustra David...

                     - Tom