re: Informix on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From dg@informix.com (David Gould)
Subject re: Informix on Linux
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > > Yes, but it is a shame Informix is coming as a "me too" to Linux, rather
> > > than leading the pack.  Now that they have decided to release the port,
> > > it is a shame they did not release it six months ago, so they looked
> > > more like a leader.
Hey, I agree, we should have done it a year ago. And we should be doing UDO
now along with SE. And we should GPL the Illustra source (it really does
address a _lot_ of the problems in postgres). But I am not in charge, so
what I think is just my opinion.

But, fact is, we are the first to ship. And I think that shipping counts
more than press releases. I mean, heck, we could have made an "announcement"
six months ago (with a six month lead time like Oracle), but that wouldn't
have put CDs in anyones hands any sooner.

I am well aware that "no good deed ever goes unpunished", but even so it
is annoying to see the attitude "well, Informix didn't do UDO only SE, and
they didn't do it six months ago" when in fact Informix is shipping a
perfectly fine product that thousands of VARS use to build all kinds of
real apps for real businesses, and we are giving developer licenses for free.

This is key enabling stuff to let real businesses deliver and use real apps
on Linux. And we are the first to actually do the work to deliver the
product (or the others would be shipping CDs instead of vapor).  I think
this is a good thing and should be recognized as such.

Excuse me if this is inappropriately commercial, but I have been arguing
inside the company for a Linux port for over two years and it kinda pops
my balloon when it is not appreciated (not that I had anything to do with it).

-dg

David Gould            dg@illustra.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - If simplicity worked, the world would be overrun with insects. -