Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Byron Nikolaidis
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date
List pgsql-general
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:
>
> > My comments are driven by perceptions. I admit they're uninformed. The
> > topic is advertising PostgreSQL, so my perceptions are relevant. Educate
> > me and the masses about your product. I'm hear because I think PostgreSQL
> > is a useful tool.
>
>         Perceptions from the 'admittedly uninformed' helps...:)

> > > What does Oracle's ODBC driver offer that ours currently doesn't?
> >
> > I just tried it for the first time last week. It failed to perform a
> > simple query. I need to double check my work yet. The Oracle ODBC driver
> > has _probably_ been around for a while and has _probably_ been better
> > tested perhaps simply by raw numbers of users.

I bet he has the old PostODBC driver -OR- there is a configuration
issue.
If the version of the driver he has begins with dot (like .21 or .30),
its ancient.
The latest version of the odbc driver at
http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc is 6.30.0247.

As long as we are mentioning the PostODBC, there is still a link under
the
"INFORMATION CENTRAL"-->"HOW TO"-->"INTERFACE DRIVERS FOR
PostgreSQL"-->ODBC Drivers for PostgreSQL.

This link takes you to "sunsite.unc.edu" which has outdated information
on it.
The ancient ODBC Drivers listed on this site are :

stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9025461
www.MageNet.com/postodbc/DOC

Is there anyway to correct this information and put the insight link on
there?

For that matter, is there anyway to point people who go to MageNet to
the right address, like a forward page?  This is important because Web
search engines (yahoo, alta-vista) will still send you to MageNet if you
search on odbc and postgres.

I wonder how many people go try the MageNet odbc driver and just give up
and try another dbms without even sending any mail to the lists?

Please, I would really appreciate a response.

Byron