Time Travel - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy
Subject Time Travel
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Time Travel  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Deal All,

In the Postgres 6.3 tutorial there is information that the time travel
is not longer supported as follows:

>>As of Postgres v6.2, time travel is no longer supported. There are several reasons for this:
>>performance impact, storage size, and a pg_time file which grows toward infinite size in a short period of >>time.

>>New features such as triggers allow one to mimic the behavior of time travel when desired, without
>>incurring the overhead when it is not needed (for most users, this is most of the time). See examples in
>>the contrib directory for more information.

>>    Time travel is deprecated: The remaining text in this section is retained only until it can be
>>    rewritten in the context of new techniques to accomplish the same purpose. Volunteers? -
>>    thomas 1998-01-12

We use Prostgres 6.3.2 for our production system, but the Postgres
tables is growing when the data updated (time travel?). Could any one
help me to stop this time travel problem, since it make our system slow,
and data corrputed frequently, our table size is about 150 MB (after
vacuum), and 210 MB (before vacuum). The table is updated about 100
thousands time per day, and we do the daily vacuum for the table.

Thanks for the support

Andy Widodo
email: a_widodo@natrindo.co.id