Re: TODO: Rename some /contrib modules from pg* to pg_* - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: TODO: Rename some /contrib modules from pg* to pg_*
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier said:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>> 1. Fix makefiles so that contrib modules such as pgcrypto are not
>>> pg_crypto 2. Move directories to reflect above
>>> 3. Fix source and makefiles within sub project directories to create
>>> binaries and libs with correct output.. thus libpgcrypto.so.0.0 would
>>> become libpg_crypto.so.0.0
>>
>> That will lose the CVS history of the modules
>
> Umm, if co-ordinated with me, I can make the name changes at the file
> system level, so that history isn't lost ..

Renaming directories is nasty in CVS no matter which way you look at it - it
is one of the known bad limitations. You might preserve the history but you
could also break every existing repo copy. See
http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.15/cvs_7.html#SEC74

Unless there is a *very* good reason this should be avoided.

cheers

andrew