Re: 100 simultaneous connections, critical limit? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 100 simultaneous connections, critical limit?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
> Clinging to sanity, jonr@physicallink.com (J�n Ragnarsson) mumbled into her beard:
>> Then I read somewhere that Postgres only supports 100 simultaneous
>> connections (default).

> I thought the out-of-the-box default was 32.

Pre-7.4 it was 32; in 7.4 it's 100 (if your kernel settings will allow it).
It's important to point out that both of these are trivial-to-alter
configuration settings, not some kind of hardwired limit.  However, the
more backend processes you have, the more RAM you need on the database
server.  It's good advice to look into connection pooling instead of
trying to push max_connections up to the moon.

            regards, tom lane