Question: ODBC connection across 2 disimilar NT Domains - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From mrpietan@netscape.net (Lord Corwin)
Subject Question: ODBC connection across 2 disimilar NT Domains
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Allow me to explain the situation.  I inherited this situation, and as such, I
have to live with it.  It works and I'm not going to break it just to make it
work like I want it to. Anyway.

I'm trying to establish an odbc connection between 2 computers in 2 seperate
NT domains that can't "see" each other.  Read on further to understand.

In Domain1, there are 2 servers, the Domain Server and the Web Server.  The
web server is not a member of the domain, but an actual workgroup within our
IP range and can also be seen within Network Neighborhood, from within Domain1.

In Domain2, there are 2 servers, the Domain Server and an Application Server
running Sybase SQL Anywhere that has the DB I want to access from the Web
Server in Domain1.  The Application Server is a member of Domain2.

Domain1 "Trusts" Domain2 and vis versa.

So, if I go into the Domain server on Domain1, I can see All computers and
servers in Domain2.  But if I enter Network Neighborhood on the Web Server,
all I can see is the computers in Domain1 and the Web Server.

And if I go into the Domain server on Domain2, I can see all the computers
except the Web Server on Domain1.

Yet, I am able to map a drive from the Web Server to the Application Server, so
I can "see" the database file I want to connect to from within the mapped drive.

Now, since I'm using NT, I'm trying to create a System DNS and it can't find
the DB Server.  What do I put into the DB Server space to tell the driver that
the server is really located in Domain2 on the Application Server.

This may seem like a really dumb question, but I'm not getting any answers.

Thanks
James -

reply to: mrpietan@netscape.net