Re: I think this is a BUG? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: I think this is a BUG?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 24, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Kaloyan Iliev wrote:
> regbgrgr=# ALTER TABLE test ADD COLUMN not_null INT NOT NULL ;
> ERROR:  column "id" contains null values
>
> ==========================================EXAMPLE2====================
> Example2:
> In this case the postgress fill the NOT NULL column ID from the
> sequence.

What sequence? You never told it you wanted one. A PRIMARY KEY
doesn't automatically add a sequence nor does a NOT NULL constraint,
the serial type does that but you defined the column as type int, not
as type serial.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4810d219927662597012045!