Odd behavior in regression test? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Odd behavior in regression test?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi. I was able to receive mail yesterday (and mostly got caught up), but
am off the air again, probably at least through the weekend. So if this
has already been brought up, sorry...

I've been working on more patches for automatic type conversion, and
they fall on top of some of the recent "junkfilter" patches. So I've
been waiting for that to settle down before finalizing my patches,
particularly since I've been off the air for e-mail for the last week :(

Anyway, the current behavior from the source tree is that the new
"junkfilter" regression test fails (as does the "random" test, but I
haven't looked into that yet). However, not only does the regression
test fail by crashing the backend, it seems to take the postmaster with
it. This seems to happen repeatably on my i686/linux system with the
current source tree as well as with the same tree with my patches. The
fact that the junkfilter test crashes doesn't bother me much (since I'm
already working around there I can probably track it down) but the
postmaster getting taken out is more worrisome.

Is it possible that the recent change from fork/exec to just fork leaves
the postmaster more exposed? I can imagine that it might, but don't have
any direct experience with it so am just guessing. Any other ideas? Do
people see this on other platforms? This is the first time I can recall
seeing the postmaster go away on a crash of a backend (but of course my
memory isn't what it should be :)

                       - Tom