Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Simon is right that we slipped the vxid patch into 8.3 when a Postgres
> user I talked to at Linuxworld mentioned high vacuum freeze activity and
> simple calculations showed the many read-only queries could cause high
> xid usage.  Fortunately we already had a patch available and Tom applied
> it during beta.  It was an existing patch that took on new urgency
> during beta.

Just to set the record straight on this ... the vxid patch went in on
2007-09-05:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-09/msg00026.php
which was a day shy of a month before we wrapped 8.3beta1:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-10/msg00089.php
so it was during alpha phase not beta.  And 8.3RC1 was stamped on
2008-01-03.  So Simon's assertion that this was "days before we produced
a release candidate" is correct, if you take "days" as "4 months".