oops and a question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From M Simms
Subject oops and a question
Date
List pgsql-sql
I think I may have just sent my subscribe to the wrong address.

Oh well, never mind.

I have a question. Ive been looking through the documentation, and
cannot seem to find anything that may help me.

I am going to be running quite a large database using posrgresql in a
few weeks time, and Im just setting it up now. The program that
interfaces with the database could be called a number of times at once
(under linux, its a setuid program for the database manipulation). Now,
one of the operatins this database is going to need to do is incriment a
value in the database.

Looking through the documentation I can fnd no way to make sure that
whilst I am incrimentng a value from x to x+1, another process wont come
along and try and incriment x before the first has finished its
incriment, and thus I lose out on one count.

Any idea on how to ensure it will not happen in this way, or am I going
to have to write a separate client to handle connections on a socket
that is the ONLY process that will incriment this number?

Thanx for any help anyone can suggest

                    M Simms