Re: VACUUM FULL missing chunk number 0 for toast value - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: VACUUM FULL missing chunk number 0 for toast value
Date
List pgsql-general
Yi Sun <yinan81@gmail.com> writes:
> Once we tried to vacuum full a table, got the error msg "ERROR:  missing
> chunk number 0 for toast value", there is a doc as below for the select
> issue, but for our case select is no issue,

Hmm, "SELECT *" doesn't throw any error?  That suggests that the
missing-toast-data problem is in a row that SELECT ignores because
it's dead, but VACUUM FULL is trying to copy it anyway, which would
imply that VACUUM thinks it's still visible to some old transaction.
Check to see if you've got old open transactions (particularly
prepared-and-never-committed transactions).

That's just a workaround of course.  It's not very clear whether
there's any actual data corruption here, but if you're not having
SELECT problems, it seems like whatever it is isn't critical.

            regards, tom lane