Re: missing GRANT on pg_subscription columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: missing GRANT on pg_subscription columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Euler Taveira" <euler@eulerto.com> writes:
> I was checking the GRANT on pg_subscription and noticed that the command is not
> correct. There is a comment that says "All columns of pg_subscription except
> subconninfo are readable". However, there are columns that aren't included: oid
> and subsynccommit. It seems an oversight in the commits 6f236e1eb8c and
> 887227a1cc8.

Ugh.

> There are monitoring tools and data collectors that aren't using a
> superuser to read catalog information (I usually recommend using pg_monitor).
> Hence, you cannot join pg_subscription with relations such as
> pg_subscription_rel or pg_stat_subscription because column oid has no
> column-level privilege. I'm attaching a patch to fix it (indeed, 2 patches
> because of additional columns for v14). We should add instructions in the minor
> version release notes too.

I agree with fixing this in HEAD.  But given that this has been wrong
since v10 with zero previous complaints, I doubt that it is worth the
complication of trying to do something about it in the back branches.
Maybe we could just adjust the docs there, instead.