Re: perl shared library, redux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: perl shared library, redux
Date
List pgsql-general
Cindy <ctmoore@uci.edu> writes:
> Name removed to protect the guilty (see below).  I replied asking for
> the path to the libperl.a.  Do they know what they are talking about
> or are they out in orbit past pluto somewhere?

On platforms where all code is built position-independent all the time,
the contents of libperl.a could be linked into plperl.so, and then it
would work.  Unfortunately, on many platforms this is not true and
you cannot insert a .a library into a .so library.  AFAIR we simply
do not try to build plperl that way: we insist that a shared-library
version of libperl be available, or we don't even try to build plperl.

            regards, tom lane