Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8
Date
Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2022-04-21 22:36:01 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Why is Python 3.5 relevant?

> It's the latest available on some older platforms. It's pretty easy to install
> a new meson, a heck of a lot more work to install a new python. IIRC solaris,
> AIX and some of Tom's dinosaurs.

FWIW, I don't think that either gaur or prairiedog need be factored into
this conversation.  They cannot build ninja at all for lack of <spawn.h>,
so whether they could run meson is pretty much beside the point.

(I wonder if we should stick in a configure test for <spawn.h>,
just to see if anything else doesn't have it?)

We should worry a little more about Solaris and AIX, but even there I
think it's largely up to the platform owner whether they've updated
python to something modern.  If it isn't, you need to move the goalposts
back some more :-(.  As of today I see the following pre-3.6 pythons
in the buildfarm, exclusive of mine:

skate        3.2.3
snapper        3.2.3
topminnow    3.4.2