Re: [INTERFACES] Slowly getting there... - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From David Hartwig
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Slowly getting there...
Date
List pgsql-interfaces

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Just got Access to see my tables...but, if I create a 'form' so that I can
> edit the fields, it tells me "Unupdatable' :(
>
> When I created my File DSN, I 'unclicked' ReadOnly...so shouldn't this
> work? :(
>
> Thanks...

Slowly the noose tightens...

The problem here is that each application is implemented differently.   Some
apps like Access 2.0 will query the database dynamically to find a unique
key.   A unique key is required by most applications to do table updates.
Others, like MS Access 7.0 & 97, require the user to supply the unique key at
link time.   The bottom line is that the app needs to know a unique key.

We have just discovered an bug in the driver that prevents the desired result
using the dynamic method used by Access 2.0.    A patch is in the works.

 MS Access 7.0 & 97 updates will work fine.    Except for one thing...
Watch out for multipart keys.   The backend does not react well to the queries
generated when browsing an updatable table with 3 or more key parts.  See bug
report and TODO concerning lots of ANDs and ORs.

I am attaching a the start of a FAQ that addresses some of these issues.

Attachment