Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How to use memory instead of hd? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Göran Thyni
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How to use memory instead of hd?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > Could we use mmap (instead of shmem) with MAP_ANON flag to get more memory
> > for shared buffer pool ?
> > I'm using FreeBSD, man mmap says:
> Yes, we could.  I don't think we do because we an anon-mapped region is
> the same as shmem, but if the limit is higher for anon mmap, we could
> used it.

It could be faster too,
and it API is cleaner too (IMHO).
If we resolve the fork/exec -> just fork problem in the server
mmap would make a good improvment in simplicity and probably
speed too.

    regards,
Göran Thyni, sysadm, JMS Bildbasen, Kiruna