Re: [HACKERS] fsync -> fdatasync in backend/storage/file/fd.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mattias Kregert
Subject Re: [HACKERS] fsync -> fdatasync in backend/storage/file/fd.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > I always have fsync enabled.
>
>         Why?  IMHO, the only use for this is where the system you are
> running it on is suspect, and you fear it crashing alot...

I started using the -F option to speed thing up, but then I had one
powerfailure which totally trashed postgresql. I could not recover
anything and had to restore from previous day's backup, loosing a
whole day of work. Then I started using fsync again.

Perhaps some emergency rescue utility would be useful in those cases
when some vital files are trashed. A utility which could go thru all
files and try to fix things missing in system catalogs and so on,
fix all obvious errors, recreate indices, remove duplicates, add
missing pieces...

/* m */