Re: build environment: a different makefile - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: build environment: a different makefile
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:09:24AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> What do other large build systems do?

> FWIW, the MSVC build ends up writing the list of object files to a temp
> file and then having the linker read that list. (This is all done behind
> the scenes though, it's not something we made up) IIRC the gcc linker can
> also take the commandline from a file instead of the actual commandline,
> which should be workable I think.

Hmm.  I'm not sure that's universal, but if it is then a simple
incremental improvement on what we're doing now would be to replace the
SUBSYS.o files with "subsys include files" that just list all the .o
files to be included.