Re: BUG: Infinite syslog() loop - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG: Infinite syslog() loop
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Erik Walthinsen <omega@temple-baptist.com> writes:
> The problem though is still that whatever code is spawning pgstat is doing
> so forever.  Are you suggesting that because the error output isn't going
> to the right place that postmaster is not detecting that it died?  I'd
> think that postmaster would instead check the return value (else how does
> it determine atm that it failed?) and not loop once it's failed.

Actually, the postmaster is deliberately designed to restart pgstat.
On the whole I think that's a net plus for reliability, not a minus.

There might be some value in limiting the rate at which we try to spawn
it, though.

            regards, tom lane